16th UITBB Conference, 15 – 17 April 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay
|Resolution of the 16th Congress of UITBB on the Cyprus problem, Montevideo 15-17 April 2015.
The organizations participating in the 16th Congress of UITBB held on 15-17 April, 2015, in Uruguay, undersigned the resolution below on the Cyprus problem:
- Noting that 40 years on Cyprus continues to live though the consequences of the Turkish invasion and occupation,
- Reiterating that the Cyprus problem is in essence an international problem of invasion and illegal occupation, in violation of the fundamental principles of international law and the Charter of the UN,
- Noting that the Cyprus problem has also an internal aspect, of restoring relations between the two communities of Cyprus, the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot,
- Taking note of the directive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey to bind regions of the EEZ of the Republic of Cyprus to conduct research and exercises,
- Considering that the right of the Republic of Cyprus to the exploration and extraction of hydrocarbons in its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) is inalienable, as of every other state,
The organizations adopting the present resolution:
- They demand the solution of the Cyprus problem the soonest possible, on the basis of international law and the UN Security Council resolutions. The solution must restore the human rights and freedoms in the framework of a bicommunal, bizonal federation with political equality as defined in the relevant UN resolutions.
- They demand permanent peace that would allow indeed the reunification, independence and freedom of the Cypriot people as a whole,
- Denounce the illegal binding of part of the Exclusive Economic Zone of the Republic of Cyprus by Turkey as an unacceptable act that violates the Treaty of the United Nations for the Law of the Sea and Customary International Law,
- Underline that the unilateral action of the Turkish government increases tension in the region and affects negatively the inter-communal talks for the solution of the Cyprus problem,
- Call on the international community to demand the revoking of the illegal notice and denounce any act of harassment of the sovereign rights of the Republic of Cyprus within the EEZ,
- Express their solidarity with and support to the struggle of the people of Cyprus for the liberation and reunification of its country.